Sunday, June 21, 2009

Greetings from Egypt!




This place is truly amazing!




I arrived in Cairo sleep deprived and starved but safe and sound. My first night consisted of getting to know the busy streets of Cairo. It was a late at night, the city never sleeps! Day one I visited Islamic Cairo. I attended a church (saint Marinas coptic church) where the holy family resided for 2 weeks when they fled jerusalem, It was a beautiful tiny little place.




Then I went to the highest point in Cairo to absorb the unbelievable view of the polluted over populated city. There are so many buildings that have been left unfinished. The Mosques and churches tower over the houses surrounding them, making for a spectacular sight.




The city of Cairo has a population of 25 million people and at and given time there are 10 million cars on the road. Don't worry about my safety out here as a tourist, worry about me crossing the street! The taxis are formula one drivers in ancient little cars. I saw my life flash before my eyes many times in my 3 hour excursion to find my hotel.




I visited the pyramids! The views of all 9 pyramids from the Sahara on camel back is breath taking! I have many pictures I will post when given the opportunity.




Last night I boarded the train to Aswan. I was traveling first class and that doesn't say much, because the train was more like a subway with a bed. The train took 14 hours, one of which we were with out power in the dead of the night in the club car of the train surrounded by foreign speaking men and a cloud of smoke. Most scary movies begin with a scene like this.




I arrived in Aswan today and visited the temple of Isis, the goddess of love, this temple is only accessible by local motor boat. I finished my day off having dinner with a local Nubian family on Elephantine island. Words will never describe the way these people live; their beautiful simplicity.




Wrapping it up, I miss you all and wish you were here to share the big and small wonders of the world!




xoxox Love Jaclyn

No comments:

Post a Comment